Monday 18 October 2010

Vintage Alphabet Party - Letters S,T and U


It is such a shame that I only came across the Etsy Cottage Style blog and their Vintage Alphabet Party a little while ago. I missed out on so much! As you can see, there are not many letters left, more is the pity. But I am really pleased that I can at least post a couple of times.

So, without further ado, on to the letter S. Oh the possibilities! I could have picked saucy cards, or shaving mugs, sachets filled with lavender, song sheets to name but a few, but in the end I went with these -

In France you often find these little Salt and pepper glass dishes on the dinner table, rather then salt and pepper shakers or grinders. I have a collection of them in France, but only a couple of them here in England.

I had intended to decoupage these vintage Shoe Trees and make them all pretty and pink and froofrooed, but in the end decided I loved the old green and gold colouring too much to cover it up -

Silk ribbons. I picked these beautiful old French Silk ribbons because they are so very tactile -


This next one is a really quite bizarre thing, a SIMPLEX nasal douche! And no, I haven't tried it out yet, and I don't think I am going to either, lol -

Better get on to the next letter quickly, lol, the letter T. I contemplated tablecloths, tools, toys, treen, teacups, but ended up with this, a rather weird and wonderful Thermometer -


I love collecting Tins, and have way too many, enough to fill half a dozen posts at least. So I just picked one which was staring me in the face as I looked at the shelves, a beautiful round Tin from Lourdes -


Probably the most popular French image at the moment, the TOUR EIFFEL, to give it its proper French name -

And something very dear to my fabric loving heart, antique and vintage French Ticking fabric -

And last but not least under the letter T, this totally crazy, funky, ridiculous, but somehow strangely adorable Teacozy -

Awww, it even has a little tail -

And just look at that expression on its cute little face, can you resist that? I couldn't, lol -

The letter U proved a wee bit difficult, but I managed to find a couple of things. Firstly, there is my much loved vintage Burberry of London Umbrella. The wooden handle is gorgeously tactile -

And what else could I find for the letter U? A bit of ooh la la of course, lol. UNDERWEAR!

I find the Undies from the 1940s and 1950s absolutely fascinating and occasionally I find some lovely, totally unused pieces in France, like these for example -

Can you imagine wearing that last one, the chest flattener from the 20s? Shudder. And all that just to suit the dress style of the day.

Thats it for the letters S, T and U. I am already looking forward to the next lot, although that could turn out to be quite a challenge. In the meantime, follow me over to the Etsy Cottage Style blog and check out all the other Vintage Alphabet posts!

Toodlepip xxx

20 comments:

Createology said...

Oh how lovely to travel along with you and the letters S, T, U. Your items are fabulous and I feel like I have completed a history lesson as well as a mini vacation. Thank you so much for sharing. Happy week ahead...

A garden just outside Venice said...

The amount of things you've collected so far is crazy!
I'm drooling over your umbrella..it's better if you open it!LOL!
Have a good week xxx

Marigold Jam said...

What a great idea! Love your items Xcept the underwear - all that peach boned corsetry makes me shudder! Maybe because I can remember seeing it worn in my childhood - how glad I am it was a fashion which had passed by the time I was old enough to wear it!

Jane x

Serenata said...

You picked a wonderfully interesting selection of alphabet S,T & U to show us. Not sure about the chest flattener, but could certainly use a stomach one! ;-D

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

The chest flattener is something else! If only it were in my day I would be ahead of fashion for a change. The big chested woman would be so envious of me, and I could walk around feeling rather comfy and proud. But it's not that time is it? Oh well.

I do love that umbrella. The fabric looks so soft too.

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

en français ça sera plus facile, je vais te raconter un petit truc : au mois de mai je suis allée à Londres avec une amie et nos deux filles. Et je n'arrêtais pas de parler des sacs à main Burberry parce que j'adore ce côté british un peu outdated... et ma copine se moquait de moi... et samedi je me suis acheté un petit vapo Burberry Brit, juste pour le dessin ! je l'ai pris en photo pour le lui envoyer !! à défaut de sac à main ou d'imper (vu à 600 £ chez Harrod's !!)
j'adooooore Burberry !!!
gros bisous

Titbelsoeur, mixed-media addict said...

en français ça sera plus facile, je vais te raconter un petit truc : au mois de mai je suis allée à Londres avec une amie et nos deux filles. Et je n'arrêtais pas de parler des sacs à main Burberry parce que j'adore ce côté british un peu outdated... et ma copine se moquait de moi... et samedi je me suis acheté un petit vapo Burberry Brit, juste pour le dessin ! je l'ai pris en photo pour le lui envoyer !! à défaut de sac à main ou d'imper (vu à 600 £ chez Harrod's !!)
j'adooooore Burberry !!!
gros bisous

Unknown said...

Hi Lululiz! Welcome to the Vintage Alphabet Party! We're so glad you found us too. Your collection is great! The Underware catagory is beautiful, but chest flattener?! Sorry...don't think that's happenin
Remember this party happens every third monday of the month. And, keep watching..every 1st Monday of the month is Market Monday for selling sites....and, there will be more parties in the future for the coming new year.

Melody
Brown Gingham Creations and Co-host of ECS Blogspot

Dorthe said...

Hi sweet friend,

your alphabet tour, is wonderfull,-I truly love all items showed,---but the tickins and the undies--oh Liz ,they are so beautifull-and the salmon coloured undies-wow- happy it is not my time.....to be closed into those "scary" things.
You do have exeptional findings, sweetie.
Hope your day was good, -here it was all sunny, and bright-a lovely day.
Hugs, and kiss-Dorthe

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

What a great selection!!

Celestina Marie said...

Hello Lululiz, Oh my gosh what an incredible post. I love all your treasures and must go back and view them again. I have so enjoyed each pic you share.
Looking forward to your particpating in the party again.

Have a wonderful evening and rest of the week.
Hugs, Celestina Marie

Debbi said...

Awesome pics for the alphabet party...I wish I could think of all the stuff you did....the ticking fabric is beautiful.

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Liz,
thank's for taking us along
to the alphabet party. Great job, wonderful photos and the items you picked are awesome!
Have a wonderful week.
Hugs,
Marie

Niesz Vintage Home said...

Wow! Great collections!

I agree, there were so many for S and T and just had to narrow it down. I wimped out on U , though.
Your vintage underware was a wonderful choice for U. Of course that nasal thing would certainly qualify for Unique, as well. :-)

Kimberly

stefanie said...

wow, so many treasures!!!
but that nasal thing....ewwwwwww,does not look fun!

Karen said...

Girlfriend, I am so coming to your house. you haven taunted me with your S&P cellar long enough! :)

I love each and every thing here.

Ummmmm . . . you forgot to tell me you also love collecting French ticking fabric . . .

GIRL! You are killin' me here!
:) HUGS! and much much love! Karen

Uh - you might want to check out my next post . . . whenever I get it done - fair warning! :)

Gaby Bee said...

I found your blog today and love it.
The items you picked for the alphabet party are amazing! Love especially the vintage underware :)
Gaby xo

Judy said...

Love all the things you posted for this alphabet party! Especially the undies! I got a kick out of those!

Thanks so much for sharing!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I have been collecting salt cellars for about 20 years. But I have never seen the double one! Those are wonderful. I will have to try to find one like that someday!

Anonymous said...

Hello Lululiz, the bear-rabbit is absolutely adorable !! yes the expression is really great ! the lingerie is amazing !